Saturday, December 20, 2008

Playing having fun
Our wild tree

Today has been a day from Hell! I woke up before 5am checked fires, water. Froze up... the cold water in the kitchen. I was so proud how we were keeping our house warm. I went and woke up my husband we panicked filled the fires, carried heaters in nothing. We had to go under the House with the Nelson Herman which is a diesel heater from the shop. We added s steel sign to reflect the heat and finally 2 1/2 hours later WATER. In the mean time we had to get kids to hockey. My oldest son took Sam to town to catch a ride as he is in a tournament in Summerland which is about 11/2 - 2 hours away. When they drove through Aspen Grove the truck thermometer said -42. So our youngest son gets there his gear is frozen solid Poor kid can't play. Meanwhile other two son's go town for a two hour fun practice just about too cold for fun. Back at home our pick up truck refuses to start it was even plugged in. Froze up solid. So the good ole Nelson Herman changes spots to be near the truck with a culvert. I refused to have anything to do with it. I said if it blows I don't want to be around. So I went to Mom and dad's for coffee. Several hours later it finally starts. So now my husband is ready to meet Sam at his hockey. Off he goes so I decide to tidy and put the dish washer on. NO hot water it now has froze up. So I left a message on my husbands cell phone so when he received service he would call. He got to Lower Nicola turned around came home and started it all over again.
Now out to the barn I have to carry water half way across the yard. Taps are frozen so we don't want it to last all winter so I carry it. We have lost an Alpaca and a goat as of today.
All of this went on all day caring fire wood checking water cleaning cupboards so heat flow through.
Oh it gets better then tonight just as I put the perogies in the water the power goes out. I think it was somewhere around 4:30 -5pm not too sure it came n maybe 9:30pm. I was over at my mom and dad's. When the power had tried to come on the pellet stove lit then the power went out again. It was so dark we only had two candles on the kitchen table and I was trying to teach the kids a card game. Our throats starting burning and I could smell smoke. Our pellet stove filled the house with thick black smoke. It burned our eyes, hurt our throats and started to make us feel sick. During all of this my poor husband had to come home again from Penticton several hours away. Leave our youngest son to stay over there ( there is a snow warning tonight where he is playing hockey)We ended at Mom and Dad's to get fresh air. We came back when the power came on to thick smoke, and our water froze up again.... And how was your day?
My brother and his family has not had a good time either. They are at the airport with cancelled flights, missed contact flights, two very tired children...Stress... but it could be worse
Count your blessing say thanks and enjoy your night.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Day from hell is right! I can't imagine how you coped. Hope all is better now.

Anonymous said...

I Know Gig. Cooked roasted ham turned into sandwiches, YUK!
Eaten in the dark. Thank goodness for the phone that is stationary, Every time I went into a room I tried to turn the lights on!!! I thought about the pioneers & hoped we didn't have to act like them for too long!
Anyway all is well here..Poor Beaner is still inKelowna airport, He should have been in Jamaica hours ago.The little ones are troopers & think of it as an adventure.
Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Do you have to wonder if those living in the tropics didn't get it right?